Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Twenty Six - The Zoo Revisited

Ok I wasn't QUITE done with the photos from our trip to the Zoo on the weekend. I can't finish up with a zoo trip without any orangutans... they're my favourites (I even adopted one when I was younger)! The orangutan enclosure has had a major facelift since I was last there. New higher walkways for us and lots of fresh new plants and flowers for the orangutans = a much more pleasant place for all!
Perth Zoo runs an internationally renowned breeding program, which has bred 29 orangutans since 1970.  They also directly support the conservation of Sumatran Orangutans in the protected Bukit Tigapuluh ecosystem in Sumatra, Indonesia and support projects such as the reintroduction of orangutans into Bukit Tigapuluh, Wildlife Protection Units, habitat and wildlife monitoring, and community education and development.
I couldn't help including one extra close up of young Teliti who was definitely the most energetic (and super cute!) orangutan around while we were there.

13 comments:

  1. The Orangutans have a lovely enclosure. the little one is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a zoo to be proud of for sure, love the baby o, solo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That enclosure seems to give a large space for these guys to roam and enjoy. And, what a cute little guy hanging around up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're such characters, as animals go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Higher walkways?! I gotta go then! Because they hid last time from me, or rather the heat, too. They were fed but carried jute bags over their heads...

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are happy critters aren't they!!! Love your pics for the day -- just the smiles I needed on this gray, wet day!! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Orangutans too. They always seem so happy. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teliti looks like quite a character. A great swinger. And such a delightful flower macro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flora! Orangutans are very close ancestors to us. Well, the Bonobo apes are closest cousins, but maybe we got our sense of humor from orangutans? I know I enjoy just hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos, especially the one of the orangutan!

    ReplyDelete